mercredi 8 juillet 2009

New places, New faces?

So I'm sat here typing at my laptop on the balcony of my new 33rd floor apartment in a glass tower in the middle of the Brumhole. I think the initial excitement of moving has worn off now, giving way to the mentality of a housewife. It falls upon me to vacuum the living room floor. Its a pretty impressive view from here though, and I'm looking forward to many moonlit nights spent gazing out across the city, watching the cars glide along its veins, and the wind rustling through the trees as it breathes.

I think as a people we tend to associate moving home with new beginnings, fresh starts-cleaning slates and mooching over leaves. I've noticed that even though I've only shuffled a couple of miles down the road from my 'old' place (as of less than a week ago), I've started to think like that too. Its a strange thing, but suddenly moving to a new place becomes a kind of emancipation from the past, a breaking out of the prison that our former habitat became. I think this has a lot to do with the baggage that we tend to accumulate around ourselves and attach to specific places. In a shiny new place there are no lingering memories, no pre-conceptions, only memories waiting to be made- and its exciting to think about what could be achieved now that we're 'new people'.

Of course, there's no getting away from the fact that I'm still in Birmingham, the city I was born in over 20 years ago, and that I'm still part-way through a degree- so my chances of making any big life-changing decisions here are as limited as they were previously. Lets forget about that though. The wind is now quite literally beneath my wings and so I intend to leap, gazelle-like through the tall grass of life, leaving a flurry of dust and debris in my wake, and more than likely being pursued by several lions in the form of debts and regrets!

Keep watching, my first resolution is to be a good blogger.

1 commentaire: